Sightseeing in Corfu
The Synagogue of Corfu is called "Scuola Greca" (or Tempio Greco). It dates back to the 17th century, and is built in a Venetian way, featuring on the main floor (ground floor) community offices, public spaces, and behind them the facilities for Sukkah, as well as a room burial preparations. The synagogue is situtated on the first floor.
Duomo Catholic Church of Saints James and Christopher. Located in a prominent spot in Venetian Corfu a few meters away from the old theater of San Jiacomo (St. James), in the current Town Hall Square and very close to the Evangelistria (Anuzziata), in the Catholic Church of Loncinada.
An important monument. Also a popular destination for pilgrimage of Christians to the island of Corfu, is the temple and scene of St. Spyridon, the patron saint of the island. The church of Agios Spyridon in Corfu is adorned with 17 impressive Urania (ceiling) paintings, painted by renowned Corfu painters. The (entrance) canton is known as the "canton of the saint" and is situated behind Liston.
The Ionian Academy adorns the Corfu Upper Square. It was the first modern Greek university for 40 years from 1824 to 1864, until the integration of the Ionian Islands with Greece. The founding of the University was realized by the British philhellenic Frederick North, Count of Guilford, who shared spacial bonds with Corfu, which he first visited in 1791, when the island was still occupied by the Venetians. Today, the building functions as a site of the Ionian University.
The neo-classical residence of Mon Repo. Located in the gardens of Paleopolis, was built by the English commissioner Adams Adams in 1830. It was formerly used by the former royal family as a summer residence but today it houses the Paleopolis Museum. A lunchtime walk under the shade of trees to the temple of Apollo by the sea will give you the chance to feel the energy od the place - and if you drink from the running waters of the Kardakion fountain, myth has it, you will return to the island!
Front of Artemis Temple. The landmark of ancient religion in ancient Corfu is the temple of Artemis Gorgous. It is a 6th century BC Doric temple that once existed near the present-day Monastery of Saints Theodore, in ancient Paleopolis, where it was the center of the ancient city.
It is located in the village of Garitsa. Bearing an impressive 10 verse archaic inscription, the earliest inscription found in Greek territory, that is read backwards and mentions that Menekrates was consul of Corfu in the city of Oianthia, which was located somewhere near the present-day Galaxidi.
At the top of the traditional village of Gastouri. Between the traditional settlement and the stone-built gardens, one can see the imposing figure of the Palace, which was the residence - at different times - of two royal personages of the European History, the Austrian Empress Elisabeth, known as Sissi, and Kaiser of Germany William II, both of whom adored Corfu, Greece and its culture.
Museum of Asian Art - Palace of Archangel Michail & Saint George The Museum of Asian Art of Corfu is housed in the Palace of Archangel Michael and Saint George on the north side of Spianada, Corfu's historic main town’s square. It is the only museum in Greece dedicated exclusively to art and antiquities of the Far East and India. Featuring rare collections that are exhibited at international exhibitions, such as the Tokyo Metropolitan Edo – Tokyo Museum, the museum of Asian Art is appreciated worldwidely.
The Monastery of Virgin of Vlacherna, which dominates the small piece of land under the Cannon, next to Pontikonissi, is dedicated to the Virgin of Blacherna and dates back to the 17th century. It is the most famous landmark of Corfu.
The historic center of Corfu's old town is bordered by two fortresses: to the east the Old Fortress and to the west the New Fortress. In the old days the two fortresses were joined by walls that surrounded the residential territory. The oldest of the two is apparently the Old Fortress of Corfu, which - built on a rocky peninsula with two characteristic hills - is the eastern end of Corfu and at the same time the most imposing monument in the city. It has received its final form from the Venetians. Inside is the church of St George, built during the English occupation of the island, to serve the religious needs of the English. Corfu town is separated from the fortress by an artificial moat, which was created to enhance protection against invaders, and is called Contrafossa. In order to enter, one must cross the bridge that connects it with the city.